Guide to Singapore Personalized Employment Pass (PEP)
You are about to know everything about Personalized Employment Pass in this guide, for example, approval criteria, eligibility criteria, timeline and application procedure.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE & RENEWAL
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore manages the approval of PEP. The Personalized Employment Pass (PEP), is a specific kind of employment visa in Singapore that is issued according to the merits of top-tier individuals. The best part of PEP is that it is independent of any company or employer, so that the individual who holds a PEP can enjoy the freedom and flexibility to change the employer without revoking the pass. The Holder of a PEP, can live in Singapore for at least six months during which he can look for new job opportunities for career advancement.
AMENDMENTS IN CRITERIA OF PERSONALIZED EMPLOYMENT PASS
Since December 1, 2012, the qualifying criteria for PEP have been elevated to assure that top-tier overseas talents can own a premium pass in the form of PEP and is in line with the latest developments to raise the attributes of Employer Pass holders. Here are the changes
- The PEP is available to P1 Pass holders with a minimum fixed salary of S$12000 a month and overseas based foreign professionals who remained employed for six consecutive months and whose last drawn fixed salary was at least S$18000 a month.
- Increment in minimum fixed yearly package should be ranging from $34000 to $144000.
- Validity of PEP is changed from 5 to 3 years.
- New holders of PEP can enjoy dependent privileges which spouse, parents and children.
- If the PEP holder fails to find employment after the grace period, this will result in the revocation of Singapore work visa.
Note: Existing PEP holders remain unaffected by any immediate impact.
All the existing holders of PEP can meet the criteria of the revised minimum yearly salary condition of $144000 before December 31, 2014.
After December 31, 2014, PEPs would be expired within 6 months i.e. from January 1, 2015 to June 30, 2015.
PEP holders whose dependants are living in Singapore since December 1, 2012 will be permitted to stay provided their sponsors have valid PEPs.
PEP APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND TIMELINE
Richmond can assist you with the submission of the PEP application, either online or manually to MOM:
- Online submission of application for existing holders of EP: Approximately 1 – 15 working days for MOM to process the application
- Manual Submission for new applicants: About 3 to 4 weeks are required for MOM’s approval.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR PEP APPLICATION
The following documents are required by us for submission of PEP application
- Resume outlining your work experiences and educational qualifications;
- Copies of past job testimonials and certificates of educational qualification;
- Copy of passport’s personal particulars page;
- Appointment letter from the existing employer, and
- Copies of the last three months’ payslips.
EP Approval and Collection
Once your application is processed and approved, you will receive approval letter from the MOM. This is the In-Principal Approval letter (IPA). and must be produced during the collection of the EP at the work division of MOM. The validity of the IPA letter is 6 months from the date of notification and approval. The following documents are required for the collection of your EP:
- A copy of the IPA letter.
- Recent passport sized photograph.
- Original passport with the entry embarkation cards.
- Medical Examination Report (if the In-Principle Approval states that you need one).
- Any other documents that are requested in the approval letter.
You can do a medical examination in your own country or in Singapore. Most clinics in Singapore give the medical examination report in one day.
Entry Visa into Singapore
If you are an overseas resident, your IPA letter will contain a single journey entry visa. When you come to Singapore, Richmond will assist to arrange for an appointment with the MOM for finger printing. After completing this procedure, your pass will be ready in four working days. You can collect the pass yourself or authorize someone to collect it on your behalf.
VISA PASSES FOR PEP HOLDERS’ DEPENDANTS
New holders of PEP can bring in their spouses, parents and children to Singapore, which is identical to the dependent privileges that are granted to P1 Pass holders.
DEPENDENT’S PASS (DP)
PEP holders can apply for Dependants’ Passes for their:
- Children (single and below 21 years)
Spouses of Singapore EntrePass or Employment Pass holders are eligible to become a Dependant Pass holder and get employment in Singapore. However, the potential employer has to apply for Letter of Consent (LOC) for them with the MOM. ( Not applicable to S Pass holders )
LONG-TERM VISIT PASS (LTVP)
PEP Pass holders are allowed to apply for Singapore Long-Term Visit Pass for their
- Children (handicapped and single who are above 21 years)
- Common-law spouse
A PEP is non-renewable and has a validity of three years after it is issued. This is why a PEP holder should apply for regular an EP and stay bound to an employer or else an application for Permanent Residence can be considered.
A PEP holder is also not permitted to commence his/her own business or be involved in any kind of business activities. If he/she wants to start a business, he/she should file an application for Entrepreneur Pass.
A PEP holder cannot remain unemployed for more than six months. The PEP will be cancelled if the holder fails to find a job within 6 months.
If there are changes in the local contact, employer, travel documents, postal address, etc, a PEP holder must duly update the MOM. PEP holders are also required to declare their yearly income to MOM within 30 days by the end of every year.
Rejection Of PEP Application
If your PEP application gets rejected by the MOM, you need to investigate why the application was not approved. Depending on the reasons given by MOM, you need to submit an appeal that will address the issues outlined by MOM and may include additional documents as requested by the authority. It will take about 3 weeks or more for MOM to review your appeal depending on the complexity of the case.
The eligibility necessities for the application of PEP have become more demanding. Unless you have the necessary time and knowledge, it is recommended that you engage Richmond to help you with the application.
CANCELLATION Of PEP
If the PEP holder stayed unemployed for over 6 months, his pass will be cancelled and the PEP holder will not be allowed to reinstate his/her PEP afterwards. Once the pass is cancelled, the PEP holder should get a valid Employment Pass, Short Term Visit Pass or any other pass to remain in Singapore. Upon cancellation of the PEP, a 30-day Short-Term Visit Pass (STVP) will be issued.
ELIGIBILITY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE
Holders of Personalized Employment Pass have eligibility to take the advantage of Technical, Skilled and Professional Employees scheme to apply for PR (Permanent Residence). Waiting period has not been designated for it. Since you have to submit your salary history of at least 6 months, you need 6 months at least before applying for Permanent Residence.